Local Sites offering assistance to Veterans
- Center For Veterans Issues
- CVI the largest community-based organization serving U.S. Veterans in Wisconsin!
- CVI is also home of the CVI Help App connecting Wisconsin veterans to the help they need.
- Veterans Path to Hope
- TLS Veterans!
- The Bunker Coffee House for Veterans
- A free program to support Veterans, Active Duty, and their families. They can obtain weekly food, daily continental breakfast, lunch or snacks, and computer access to apply for VA Benefits
- Run by Jo Wynn of Walkin’ In My Shoes
- Please visit her website to see how you can get involved in this far reaching Kenosha charitable organization.
- Freedom Farm for Vets
- A Safe Place to go anytime a veteran needs a break from the dail stresses of life.
- All veterans and their families are welcome.
- Veteran Outreach of Wisconsin
- Home of the Tiny Villages for homeless veterans
Veterans from all eras are reacting to the events in Afghanistan, such as the U.S withdrawal and the takeover by the Taliban.
You are not alone.
Veterans may question the meaning of their service or whether it was worth the sacrifices they made. They may feel more moral distress about experiences they had during their service.
It’s normal to feel this way!
Talk with your friends and families, reach out to battle buddies, connect with a peer-to-peer network, or sign up for mental health services. Scroll down for a list common reactions and coping advice.
Resources Available Right Now
- Veterans Crisis Line
- If you are having thoughts of suicide, call 1-800-273-8255, then PRESS 1 or visit http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/
- For emergency mental health care, you can also go directly to your local VA medical center 24/7 regardless of your discharge status or enrollment in other VA health care.
- Vet Centers
- Discuss how you feel with other Veterans in these community-based counseling centers.
- 70% of Vet Center staff are Veterans.
- Call 1-877-927-8387 or find one near you.
- VA Mental Health Services Guide– This guide will help you sign up and access mental health services.
- MakeTheConnection.net – information, resources, and Veteran to Veteran videos for challenging life events and experiences with mental health issues.
- RallyPoint – Talk to other Veterans online. Discuss: What are your feelings as the Taliban reclaim Afghanistan after 20 years of US involvement?
- Download VA’s self-help apps – Tools to help deal with common reactions like, stress, sadness, and anxiety. You can also track your symptoms over time.
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) – Request a Peer Mentor
- VA Women Veterans Call Center – Call or text 1-855-829-6636 (M-F 8AM – 10PM & SAT 8AM – 6:30PM ET)
- VA Caregiver Support Line – Call 1-855-260-3274 (M-F 8AM – 10PM & SAT 8AM – 5PM ET)
- Together We Served –Find your battle buddies through unit pages
- George W. Bush Institute – Need help or want to talk? Check In or call:1-630-522-4904 or email: email@example.com
- Elizabeth Dole Foundation Hidden Heroes – Join the Community
- American Red Cross Military Veteran Caregiver Network – Peer Support and Mentoring
- Team Red, White & Blue – Hundreds of events weekly. Find a chapter in your area.
- Student Veterans of America – Find a campus chapter to connect with.
- Team Rubicon – Find a local support squad.